This Wednesday, February 24, 2021, Borussia Monchengladbach faces Manchester City in a match counting for the round of 16 first leg of the 2020-2021 edition of the Champions League. This match will take place at the Puskas Arena in Budapest (Hungary) and kick off will be at 9:00 p.m. During the group stage, Borussia Monchengladbach finished in 2nd place in group B and Manchester City finished leader in group C.
The match will be played at the Puskas Arena in Budapest. Ie on neutral ground.
And for Gladbach, the most important thing to note is that the news of the upcoming abdication of coach Marco Rose had an extremely bad effect on the atmosphere at the club.
Even the team captain expressed his deep disappointment. And the result of the loss to Mainz in the next match was seen.
Man City are not only leaders in the Premier League standings. But they are also in a series of 18 consecutive victories.
And Hussep Guardiola has undoubtedly found the winning formula, which you can read about in the following article:
Noting that even in the group stage of the Champions League they conceded only 1 goal.
Forecast for Gladbach - Man City
For this match, I can't find anything positive in favor of Borussia Mönchengladbach to catch.
Totally broken mental team in bad shape with poor results. And against far lower quality than today's rival.
Even in the group stage, when they did not have the current internal problem, they miraculously slipped in with 2 victories only over Shakhtar.
And against Real Madrid and Inter scored only 2 points from a total of 4 matches.
What then can we expect from such a team against Manchester City?
A team that in the Premier League against stronger and at least comparable to Gladbach rivals allows an average of 0.53 xGA per game.
At the same time, in recent months, Pep Guardiola's team has averaged 2.21 xGF per game.
Our Prediction Borussia Mönchengladbach Manchester City
For its first participation in the Champions League, Borussia Monchengladbach inherited a difficult draw in the round of 16 of the competition. Badly in the Bundesliga, the German club will have to expect a complicated meeting against a Manchester City team which is currently unbeatable. For our prediction, we are betting on a success of Manchester City.
Top facts and statistics for the match
- Gladbach have won only 1 of their last 5 games: 1-2-2.
- Man City is unbeaten in 25 games and is in a series of 18 wins.
- In the past, Borussia Monchengladbach and Manchester City have faced each other 6 times since 1979: 1 victory for Borussia Monchengladbach, 2 draws and 3 wins for Manchester City. The last match between the two clubs ended in a match (1-1) on November 23, 2016 in C1.
- Manchester City's Cityzens have scored 11 goals in the last 4 games against Borussia Monchengladbach in the Champions League.
- In their respective leagues, Borussia Monchengladbach lost at home to Mainz in the German Bundesliga and Manchester City went on to win on Arsenal in the English Premier League.
- Manchester City have not conceded a goal in their last 5 unbeaten matches in the Champions League.
- Alassane Pléa and Kevin De Bruyne, Borussia Monchengladbach's top scorer and Manchester City's top passer, respectively, will be the two players to watch in this meeting.
Borussia Mönchengladbach's last 5 matches:
Last 5 Manchester City games:
|02/21/21||PL||Arsenal||Man City||0: 1||P|
|02/17/21||PL||Everton||Man City||1: 3||P|
|02/13/21||PL||Man City||Tottenham||3: 0||P|
|02/10/21||FAQ||Swansea||Man City||1: 3||P|
|02/07/21||PL||Liverpool||Man City||1: 4||P|
Last 5 direct meetings:
|11/23/16||SHL||Gladbach||Man City||1: 1|
|09/14/16||SHL||Man City||Gladbach||4: 0|
|12/08/15||SHL||Man City||Gladbach||4: 2|
|09/30/15||SHL||Gladbach||Man City||1: 2|
|03/20/79||LE||Gladbach||Man City||3: 1|